[at-l] Choosing the best information sources:

> This brings up an interesting thought...............who do you
> all consider experts on the trail?  My list includes Warren Doyle,
> Ginny and Jim, and of course.....Jack!  As far as general hiking
> goes, Shane is the man.  When it comes to advice that covers all
> levels, these folks have been invaluable to me!!  Who else would
> ya'll add to the list?  Anna

Uh oh...  I'm in the list.  Dangerous...

Experts on the trail?  I suppose we'd have to define terms.  Do you mean
experts knowledgeable about the trail, it's history, and it's purpose, or
experts as far as traveling on it?  Hmmm...

General hiking experts?  Don't know if there is such a thing...

I'd think that if a person truly accomplished a thruhike, then that person
would be well qualified as an 'expert' on general hiking.  You don't do that
kind of distance without learning a few things.

On the other hand, I know an awful lot of people that have far more
knowledge than I, but who don't do long distance hiking at all.  Their
'expertise' is accumulated over years of little hikes and weekend outings.

In the end, everyone with 'experience' and many without it, all have
something to add to the base of knowledge that makes our outings both
possible and enjoyable.  Some are more communicative than others, and some
are more verbose than others, but in the end I have learned quite a lot from
this list - and often from people relatively new to the scene of
backpacking.

Sometimes the little tricks and tips make all the difference, and I think
that often they are the most important.  Newbies are all obsessed with
mundane things like choosing their gear and spending their money.  The
Oldies are more concerned about hot food, good sleep, and other things less
mundane.  All come together for different purposes - some to figure out
their gear, others to share and socialize with others who have similar
experiences and interests, and many other reasons; all individual and all
unique.  Together, all the members of this list make up a composite 'hiker'
that is more experienced than the sum of each of us individually as members.
So, I'd have to nominate the 'list' as an 'expert' - and possibly the most
accomplished expert among us.

Shane