[at-l] A washingtonpost.com article from: dalemerica@aol.com

Red and other AT Friends,

First, I want to wish your daughter all the luck in the world in her Marine
Corps career.  I am especially touched by her choice as I did exactly the
same thing at her age.  I doubt that she is quite as naive as I was at the
time I joined.  I went from a very strict private Catholic school, never had
been alone on a date into the U.S.M.C. Although I saw some very difficult
things and endured a lot of negativity and pain, I also grew up and gained a
great deal of respect for my country and the Corps.  I still get chills
today when I hear the word Marines or listen to the Marine Corps anthem.
When I hear anyone put either one of them down, I do my best to defend.
Please feel free to give Shannon my e-mail as I would love to talk to her
about her choice.

I have been having a great deal of problem listening to all the recent
name-calling and childishness (just my opinion) on this list by a few of the
members.  I thought it had improved a great deal in recent months.  The
majority of the people here have so many positive things to say that I try
to overlook the minority.   Hikers are the most REAL people I have ever met
and, just as I continue to feel pride to be an American and a Marine, I am
proud to be a hiker.

 I feel a deep sadness when there is so much dissent among people anywhere.
Perhaps I am still naive, but I do not understand why people on this list
have to throw mud at each other.  I know I am not as bright as many on this
list, that I have brain damage and am getting older....but why do people
have to say things that hurt other folks?
Can anyone explain this to me, without saying something nasty?  There are so
many people on this list that I love and care about.  Sometimes they are
even the people who are even slinging the mud at each other.  I do not
understand and, when I do not understand, I ask questions.  I want to learn.
If someone decides to play nasty, why can't we just use the delete key, not
respond, until he or she goes away?

Hummingbird

---