[at-l] do the math

At 02:01 PM 12/1/2002 -0500, Bob C. wrote:
>Or at least discuss his ideas, not his math. We all know WF's faults. A few of
>us also recognize the good he has done. And wise people know that hardly
>anyone
>is as bad as some on this list seem to think Wingfoot is.

Read it again.  I *didn't* say he was a bad person.  I *didn't* say he
never did anything good for the AT.  I only said he isn't the center of the
AT universe that he likes to present himself as.  I only said that his
claims don't add up.  There are many on AT-L, in ATC and the associated
hiking  organizations whose lives center on the AT.  They very quietly and
completely unheralded, accomplish more than we can imagine.   I daresay
that your own efforts rival those of WF, Weary.

Judging by his own PR, WF would like the AT to center on WF.  I fail to see
why recognizing that is so terrible.  Like RnR I supported the same
Saddleback alternative WF did.  WF didn't invent that alternative and I
didn't support it because WF did.  I supported it based on my own judgement
on the alternatives.  The AT is bigger (and I don't mean just
geographically) than WF or even MacKaye and Avery.  It continues to exist
because thousands upon thousands of people love it and give to it what they
can.  What I cannot comprehend is the demand that we pay special homage to
one person because he happens to be good at self promotion.  For the
record: Thank you Wingfoot for the things you have done to support the
AT.  Now can we get back to something other than singing his praises?

sAunTerer