Re[4]: [at-l] Hunting and Hiking...

>"...the habituation of bears to mankinds' castoffs is a great safety concern. A
>large, curious predator can quickly disassemble a hike:

Bears tend to be a problem only where they are not hunted. I'm tempted to say
they are NEVER a problem in places where they are hunted, but if I do someone is
sure to post a rare exception.

Maine has a large bear population, something like 30,000 or more. They are
largely a problem in Baxter State Park where hunting is mostly banned, though
some rural towns with a lot of dog food dishes outside sometimes have intruders.

Weary