[at-l] Resupply question

--

Picking up a mail drop at a post office or hostel is generally faster than
stopping in town and shopping, but it has to be timed right.  It's not always
easy to hit towns during the week when the PO's are open.  It's best to take
advantage of hostels and motels that accept food drops, but then they'll
expect you to stay.  If you don't stay where you send a drop, a small
donation is in order.  Baltimore Jack can help you with the non PO drops.

If you want to make it to Katahdin by mid May, you'll have to average over 16
miles a day with no days off.  Hitting northern New England in late spring
may be problematic due to lingering snowpack and the threat of new and nasty
weather.  Of course, you're going to hit a great deal of snow, early season,
in the southern Appalachians which will further hinder your miles.

If I were you, I'd use as many non PO resupplies as possible, only sending
drops to the smaller towns where neccesary.  Carry a few mail forwarding
forms and if you hit a town on the weekend where you're expecting a drop,
fill out the form, drop it in the mailbox and forward it up the trail a c
ouple weeks. I also wouldn't blow through every town.  To me, although towns
aren't the reason I hike, I enjoy my time in them, resting up, meeting the
locals and pigging out on fresh foods.  Even if I sent the basic food stuffs,
I always try to supplement my drops with breads, cheeses, pepperoni or
salami, etc.

I also wouldn't be in such a hurry.  Averaging 18 miles a day on the AT will
allow for a few days off, but it's awfully hard to do.  You're knees won't
appreciate it and you'll be much more susceptible to injury.

Take your time.  If you only reach southern New England by mid May, you'll
have the best of the trail to finish another day.

Sly