[at-l] RE: No Hunting?

--
In a message dated 11/26/2002 5:53:48 PM Eastern Standard Time,
DaRedhead@aol.com writes:

>  If at the time of MacKays writing the government
> listened and actually did away with "useless war energies", I doubt we'd
> all
> be worrying about the AT right now.  We'd have more immediate to our
> survival
> concerns.

      ***   The Trail was built right after WW1 when US veterans were camped
out in Hoover towns on the Washington Mall. They had been promised benefits
that never materialized. A later to be famous soldier, Douglas MacArthur, was
put in charge of breaking up the sit-in and routing the veterans. He routed
the camp occupants and bulldozed their shanties. I believe these were some of
the people MacKaye intended to help. They had been shattered by a brutal
mechanized war and needed to be taken care of. Of course I could go on and
answer some more of your points, but I don't want to spoil your pre-Iraq
nationalistic catharsis. Trail advocacy is probably a little more boring.

    All said and done, I think this only furthers the need for a "war-free
zone" in the corridor. One reflecting the Trail's 'tone' more appropriately.
I honestly believe somewhere in the future wars will be seen in the same
light as serving the gods with heart sacrifices on temples. I'm always one
who believes this is the bravest and best form of Americanism. To not say so
in a country where we are free to do so is to forsake those who are prevented
from doing so in less free nations...