[at-l] re: "Lithuanian Music" was re: Thanks Mags!

>>What a great surprise! Mix-Master Mags sent me a
cd->>rom with photos (set to

Ahh..shucks. It is the least I can do. TJ, you must
have had some fun reading my handwriting! :-)

>>the right tunes (except one, which we think was in
>>Lithuianian).

I think you are refering to one of four songs. Three
of the songs were in various Native American
languages. Cherokee, Lakota and not sure of the third
language.  They are from the album "The Native
Americans" by Robbie Robertson and the Red Road
Ensemble (the same Robbie Robertson of "The Band"
fame).

The other possibility could be "O Marie" by Daniel
Lanois. Lanois is the producer of albums by U2,
Emmy-Lou Harris, Wille Nelson, the Neville Brothers,
Bob Dylan and many more. Anyway, his two solo albums
are quite good. If there are any "Northern Exposure"
fans out there, his songs were featured in this show's
soundtrack albums.

The song "O Marie" is from the album  "Acadie".
Lanois, from Quebec and living in New Orleans made an
album that essentially explores the music of his
native land and his adopted home and the connection
between the two. The album title refers to "Acadia",
the region in southern Canada/Maine where the
ancetsors of the Canjuns(a corruption itself of the
word "acadians")  were forced by the British to
immigrate to Louisiana.

The song "O Marie" is sung in French-Canadian and is
about the Quebecois who are picking crops and dreaming
of getting home towards the end of their summer. Since
I was hiking to Canada and not to far from getting
home myself it seemed like a nice piece of music to
have near the end of the slide show.  Plus, I just
like the song. :-)

Sorry for the rambling, but it is one of my favorite
albums.  And I figure if I am ever at any hiker get
togethers in the future and show the presentation,
this should stop me from having to explain further
about the odd music! :D

>>p.s. Mags? You need a new pot, man.

Why? It only has been on the LT, the PCT and god knows
where else. Still has a few miles left on it! :D

=====