[at-l] More re-supply stuff...

Sparky--

    Just re-read S. Dolan's post.  Here are a few thoughts on what he wrote:

    1.  I found the re-supply at the General Store in Fontana Village to be
horrible, as there wasn't much stock, it was over-priced, and if you're the
15th hiker to get there on any particular day, they're wiped out of what you
need.  I think a maildrop here is a really good idea.  Alternative:  Stay
with the great folks at the Hike Inn Motel, and they'll shuttle you to a
nearby Robbinsville, which has a market.

    2.  I've been to Mtn. Momma's only once, on my first hike in '95, and
decided to not go back.  Over the years, a lot of folks have had complaints
with this place, usually involving dis-courtesy and price gouging.  An
alternative may be Standing Bear Hostel, a few miles past MM, which I
haven't been to, but EVERYONE I spoke to this year who stopped there spoke
well of the place.  I don't know off the top of my head what they offer in
terms of re-supply, tho I know they do shuttles.  For more info, or to see
if they accept maildrops, call Maria Guzman or Curtis Owen at (423) 487-0014

   3.  Sean mentioned that Uncle Johnny's shuttle service is now free; this
is certainly surprising news to me as I wasn't aware ANYTHING was free
there, including the air that you breathe.  I heartily advise one and all to
skip this place and instead go to Miss Janet's excellent new hostel, which
is not only in town near the P.O. , restaurants, and supermarkets, but is
also run by a wonderful person who'll treat you with friendship and respect.
  Unless you want to stay in a motel, you'd be crazy to stay anywhere but
Janet's.

  4.  In Dennis Cove, the place to stay, unless you want to miss the finest
hiker facility on the entire Trail, is Kincora Hostel and not Laurel Creek
Lodge.  Bob Peoples, Kincora's proprietor,runs free daily shuttle service to
supermarkets and restaurants, or you can send a maildrop that'll get you to
Damascus.  But whatever you do, stay here or you'll be really sorry later.

   5.  After Damascus, you might wish to re-supply in Troutdale, which has a
small general store and a hiker hostel.  Also, there is limited re-supply
directly on the Trail in Atkins, or you can send a maildrop to the Village
Motel.

   6.  As far as I know, the little store in Bastian, VA has closed.  Go to
Bland instead.

   7.  In Northern Virginia, Bear's Den Hostel has excellent short-term
re-supply.  Very important if you're not planning a maildrop in Harper's
Ferry, or plan to go straight thru.

   8.  I choose to re-supply in Linden, VA and avoid Front Royal which is
all spread out and tends to be a tough hitch.  There MAY be a new hostel
there next year which will no doubt offfer shuttle service to shopping
areas.

   9.  In Duncannon, the great new owners at the Doyle Hotel now offer a
free shuttle service to the supermarket which will save you a long and
dangerous roadwalk.  Great place, great folks.

  10.  You might wanna consider a small maildrop in Port Clinton, PA as
there's nowhere nearby to shop.

  11.  Likewise, I send a small drop to Bear Mtn. rather than go to
Ft.Montgomery.

  12.  Hostel in Vernon, NJ may be closed next year due to abuse by hikers,
but it's still a great place to re-supply.

  13.  Good re-supply near the Trail at the Super Stop and Shop in
Williamstown, MA.

  14.  In Caratunk, ME, there's great short term re-supply at Steve
Longley's place, Rivers and Trails, which is near the Trail.  Absolutely one
of the nicest people you'll meet on your trip.

  15.  Shaw's is still the place to stay in Monson; I had an EXTRAORDINARILY
rude exchange with his chief competitor this year, and am delighted that
I've been sending folks to Shaw's for year.

Anyway, anyone that's interested in more details on the above, as well as
other places, might wanna check out the post mentioned previously, on the
TrailQuest site.