[at-l] ResSupply Questions.

Thanks Rover,  this is what I was looking for...  Now I am going back to
the living room floor with my maps and my beagle and see what I can figure
on out...    I am hoping to do more town resupply than mailing and this
sounds great!

Sparky!

Start Date: April 3
Neels Gap, GA - Had my only maildrop here. Good thing too since Walasi-Yi
is sort of pricey. Trail runs
Hiawasee, GA  - Big grocery store near lodging. Easy hitch into town.
Franklin, NC - Got some food gifts in mail from friends to augment food I
already had, so I didn't much. There's a big mall there sort of separated
from the rest of the town and a far walk. Easy hitch.
Nantahala Outdoor Center, NC - Outfitter has food stuffs, altho a little
pricey. Trail runs right into it.
Fontana Dam, NC - The general store at Fontana Village has most of what you
need. The hours are a little dicey, but there's a free shuttle from the
trailhead.
Davenport Gap, NC - Resupply at Mountain Mama's. Easy hitch. Healthy
mark-up on things but great cheeseburgers.
Hot Springs, NC - Small grocer and outfitter with lots of good trail food.
Trail runs through the town.
Erwin, TN - Uncle Johnny's hostel on the trail but a large grocer in town
itself. Miss Janet and Uncle Johnny provide free shuttles but watch out for
the rivalry betwen them.
Dennis Cove / Hampton, TN - Laurel Creek Cabins has a small reasonably
priced store, or Bob People's will shuttle into Hampton.
Damascus, VA - Small store there. Trail runs past town.
Partnership Shelter, VA - PIZZA! - Called for pizza and beer!
Atkins, VA - Slacked from Partnership to restaurant in Atkins and stayed in
the Holiday Inn. Small store near hotel and the restaurant owner will
shuttle as long as you eat at least one meal there.
Bastian / Bland, VA - both towns are off the trail, but easy hitch
Pearisburg, VA - large grocery as well as a Walmart
Daleville / Troutville, VA - Everything. Trail runs across road and lots of
stuff close to trail. Easy to go in and out of.
Waynesboro, VA - Full service town. Easy hitch or you can sometimes arrange
a shuttle from a trail angel at the visitor's center near the trailhead
Shenandoah National Park, VA - Plenty of campstores and waysides along the
way to supplement as you go.
Front Royal, VA - Hitch was moderately easy. Town is a bit spread out but
there is everything you'd need.
Harper's Ferry, WV - Small stores to resupply or you can try and arrange a
shuttle at the ATC to the Super Walmart down the road.
Duncannon, PA - A bit problematic, altho there is a large truckstop at the
edge of town where you can get stuff if you need it. Note that I slacked
the rest of PA with friends who had car support, so I don't have much to
say about the rest of PA although people said it wasn't much of a problem
Delaware Water Gap, PA - Small stores or you can arrange a ride for a small
fee to the large town nearby which has a movie theater and large grocery
store.
Vernon, NJ - Decent store at trailhead, but easy hitch into Vernon, which
has everything
Fort Montgomery, NY - I stayed at a hotel down the road from the trail, and
resupplied at a 7-11
Kent, CT - Tough hitch into town but a relatively short walk. Lotsa stores
to buy stuff.
Salisbury, CT - Easy walk / hitch ... nice little town with stores along
the way. Pricey tho.
Great Barrington, MA - somewhat tough hitch into the grocery store before
town.
Dalton, MA - Small stores, enough to get by
Manchester Center, VT - Food stores after easy hitch.
Hanover, NH - Everything right on the trail
North Woodstock, NH - Tough to get there but everything is there, might be
easier to get into Lincoln
Gorham, NH - Easy hitch and lotsa small stores along US 2
Andover, ME - Small store near hostels; shuttles to hostels
Stratton, ME - Two stores near White Wolf Inn
Monson, ME - Small stores near hostels
Abol Bridge at Baxter - Camp Store at Abol Bridge

Generally, I carried between 3-5 days worth of food. Note that once you hit
VA, you pass ALOT of small places during your hike -- small restaurants
that you will definitely want to stop at. If you buy food along the way,
you can augment your food with the occasional cheeseburger. It's easier (in
my opinion) to manage your food load, and not be bummed about eating a
restaurant lunch since you've got the lunch you were SUPPOSED to eat in
your backpack. Also alot of these small places have a small store and you
can pick up some mac & cheese or something as well.

Just my two cents.

Enjoy and don't worry about it all that much. As much planning as you do,
you'll change it a hundred times along the way. And besides, you'll
probably run into Baltimore Jack along the way and he'll set you straight
;)

Rover
GA > ME 02