[at-l] Windproof Fleece

On 11/26/02 10:07 AM, "Bluetrail@aol.com" <Bluetrail@aol.com> wrote:

> I've been looking at fleece vests and notice that the windproof ones are at
> least twice the price of ordinary fleece.  Is windproof fleece worth the extra
> cost? This vest will have to do town duty as well as trail excursions.
>
> Any other advice on the warmest fleece also appreciated!

Fleece is an insulating layer, and so (generally speaking) a thicker fleece
gives you more 'dead space' and thus keeps you warmer. Thus a 300-weight
fleece is warmer than a 100-weight.

BUT, and it's a big one, normal fleece is very breathable and you can lose a
lot of heat through convection -- any breeze moves the warm air away from
your body and replaces it with cold air.

Fleece works better with a windproof layer over it, like a simple nylon
windbreaker. This allows the insulation to do its job properly.

Fleece makers sell several types of fleece that are more wind-resistant.
'Wind-pro' Polartec is simply a tighter knit fabric, and thus slightly more
wind resistant. 'Wind-bloc' has two layers of fleece bonded to a windproof
layer. This fleece feels stiffer and thinner than normal fleece, and it
actually works pretty well, but it doesn't breathe as well, so you can get
overheated.

The lightest, warmest, and most efficient use of fleece insulation IMVHO is
to use a simple nylon uncoated breathable jacket or anorak over regular
plain old medium-weight fleece. There are several available, from the old
standby LL Bean windbreaker to several offerings from GoLite and others.

Now, that said, I don't usually carry a fleece (jacket or vest) for hiking
in cold weather, as I prefer a down jacket with a windproof Pertex shell.
It's warmer, lighter, and packs smaller than a fleece jacket. So I think the
warmest fleece is made from geese. (Hey, that rhymes.)

Ken
Big Cranky