[at-l] No Hunting?

>I would much rather work with the DNR than have them decide they no >longer
>want the trail on state gamelands.

I agree that it is most certainly appropriate to work with the DNR and
hunting groups.  One of the things that is particularly sad about this
incident was that it was so predictable.  In fact it WAS predicted with
great certainty a couple years ago on another list.

The ATC also recognized the potential for such a tradegy with thier
admonisions to wear blaze orange and thier publication of hunting season
information, state by state.  Those who haven't hiked the Trail during deer
season may not understand exactly how much hunting is actually done along
and on the AT.  I will continue to avoid walking in areas heavy with hunters
wherever possible.  The deer season is short, and they don't much like the
Whites.

I am left wondering what, if any, are the existing laws regarding hunting on
the Trail or in the Trail corridor.

I am also left wondering what the ATC means when it says all but just very
few miles of the AT have been permanently protected.  Can it really be that
the DNR in PA can evict the trail from thier state gamelands?

RIck B