[at-l] AT Hiker Shot By Hunter

--
In a message dated 11/25/2002 12:53:40 PM Eastern Standard Time,
russ_a_drake@icpmech.navy.mil writes:

>  A hiker confronting a hunter with a
> weapon seems a bit looney if you ask me.

     ***   About a decade ago I took some relatives to the AT in NY by
Wildcat Shelter. As we walked in there was a hunter sitting on a boulder
besides the Trail warning us that his friends were up Trail driving deer his
way. I told him that it was forbidden to hunt ON the AT because there were
hikers using it regularly and they should consider their shots. He didn't say
much in response. After a short discussion we turned back. My Woolrich jacket
was deer brown...

     On my 1985 southbound I ran into many hunters without incident. My first
was when I answered nature in Connecticut. I looked around to make sure
nobody was near and was in the middle of doing my business when suddenly my
eyes focused on a hunter in a tree fork 50 yards into the woods in front of
me. He was pretending he was asleep.

      In New Hampshire a bow hunter emerged from his trailside ambush all
full of hunting concentration. He walked by me without a word with tense
muscles. I can tell these guys were anxious to shoot and were probably
disappointed I wasn't a deer. They get up and walk away wordless and tense
having had their ambush blown by a hiker. In sort of like a stalking/killing
mode like an animal. In a trance...

      In NY I camped on Buchanon Mountain and was finishing my tin pot of
breakfast hunched over my MSR when I spied a rifle carrying hunter walk past
me silently about 5 yards to my side. Also wordless. I can image this guy
also had me in his sights and was disappointed. He was good at stealth...

      By Wildcat the last mile of Trail was a thick blood trail from a hunter
dragging a carcass down the Trail to the road...