From: at-l-admin@mailman.backcountry.net
[mailto:at-l-admin@mailman.backcountry.net] On Behalf Of J Bryan Kramer
Sent: Sunday, November 24, 2002 7:14 PM
To: Shane Steinkamp; at-l@backcountry.net
Subject: RE: [at-l] AT Hiker Shot By Hunter

> > Well this is one case where it appears that we
> > should all be able to agree on the real culprits
> > of this tragedy, no matter what the real details
> > are. Hunting should be banned for at least 500
> > feet from the trail. Politicians are the bad guys
> > in this case.
>
> It's already illegal to shoot across a hiking trail.  I've always
> felt that
> no matter what your intentions were, if it's your finger on the
> trigger, you
> are responsible for where the round goes.  Was the shooter a
politician?

No but you don't have to intentionally shoot across a trail, with a .308
or
.30-06 ( as examples) just shooting in the direction of the trail would
be
enough to endanger someone from a great distance. I know this guy was
using
slugs. 500 feet would cut the odds way down in the east with all those
trees
to get in the way of an errant round. Plus we all know that many of
these
hunters are drunk in the woods with a high powered rifle, one reason I
gave
it up. The Politicians should provide some moron buffer zone. I only say
this for the AT since it is such a high traffic trail.

Bryan