From: "Bob C." <ellen@clinic.net>
To: "rick boudrie" <rickboudrie@hotmail.com>
Cc: shane@theplacewithnoname.com, at-l@backcountry.net
Subject: Re[2]: [at-l] AT Hiker Shot By Hunter
Sender: at-l-admin@mailman.backcountry.net
Date: Sun, 24 Nov 2002 21:26:08 -0500

>...There  are  some  sections  of  the AT (and also around my childhood home in
>Western  NY,  for  that matter) where I wouldn't feel safe walking in the woods
>during  deer  season  dressed in blaze orange from head to toe, carrying a boom
>box blaring Flight of the Valkeries."

Most  hunting  accidents  are  a  product  of carelessness. But there are always
exceptions.  I  get  a  sick  feeling  in  my stomach whenever I hear about such
shootings.

However,  though  I  missed  a year or two during the Korean War, otherwise I've
owned a Maine hunting license for nearly 60 years. However, the deer herd -- and
trail  users -- are pretty safe when I'm around. Successful hunters sit quietly,
or creep quietly through the woods. I can only do that for a minute or two. Then
I  get  bored and go climb the nearest hill or push on to see what may be around
the next bend.

However, I too am a bit nervous in the woods during big game seasons. Most years
I use the woods during deer season only to hunt.

 This year is different. I go out for a few miles daily in an effort to maximize
 the  aerobic  potential of what may be undamaged in my lungs. So far I have yet
 to see a hunter.

 I did find a bit of litter on our land trust preserve this afternoon. I'm still
puzzling  about  who  may have left it. It was in an area frequented by ATVs and
hunters.  But it was a cellophane bag that had contained sunflower seeds, making
me suspect it may have been dropped by a granola eating hiker.

Weary