[at-l] Keeping your fingers warm!

Amy,

Reference your post, dated 11-22-02, asking about keeping your hands warm.

I've noticed when my hands get cold, and (1) I'm walking, and (2) wearing
fleece, my hands will become much warmer if I pull them inside the sleeves
of my fleece top and up under the sleeves of my shell.  I've noticed I can
remove my gloves and/or mittens entirely and my hands will still be warmer
using this method.

Note:  I buy clothes very large.  This easily allows layering.  This also
allows the sleeves to extend beyond my hands, merely by relaxing the cuffs
on the shell.  My hands remain dryer since perspiration evaporates more
readily, even during rain.

Note:  This option exists if you aren't using hiking poles.  In this weight
conscious world of backpacking, where you carry your own weight, using
hiking poles means exposing the hand(s) grasping the pole(s).  There will be
occasions where you will want, if not need, heavier coverage for the hands,
and then waterproofing for the hand coverings.

The conclusion:  If you don't use hiking poles, you may be able to do well
only carrying a pair of capilene glove liners - - for cooking and camp use.

In the interests of accuracy, I prefer a wool top to capilene.  I cannot,
therefore, pull my hands into my wool sleeves, since they lack the
flexibility of fleece.  I therefore carry either heavier fleece mittens - -
"Turtlefur" - - which are also very wind resistant, yet vent perspiration,
or capilene glove liners.

Just something else for your consideration.

Steve