[at-l] Pooping in the Woods

> I'm convinced, however, that the most environmentally friendly way to dis=
pose of
> human  wastes  is  to stop a mile or so from a shelter, dig a shallow cat=
 hole a
> hundred  yards or so off the trail, deposit the waste and cover it up. I =
usually
> drop  a  heavy  rock  or  a  fallen  log  on  top  to discourage animals.
 Unless
> conditions  are  dangerously  dry,  I  usually  touch  a  match to the TP=
 -- for
> aesthetic, rather than environmental reasons. It's hard to imagine anythi=
ng that
> degrades better and more harmlessly.
>
> Weary

=09Decomposition of toilet paper varies greatly with the local environment.
Alpine environments, for example, will take much longer than areas with dee=
organic duff.

=09And really be careful setting a match to it; there's been a number of
cases where forest fires have been started by just that sort of behavior.

=09For a more detailed analysis, try -

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0898156270/qid=3D1037807896/s=
r=3D8-1/ref=3Dsr_8_1/102-8440397-9832109?v=3Dglance&s=3Dbooks

=09(You may need to cut and paste the link.)

=09Ron
--

It is our attitude toward free thought and free expression that will determ=
ine our fate. There must be no limit on the range of temperate discussion, =

yumitori(AT)montana(DOT)com