[at-l] While I'm thinkin' about it...

What the heck, right? 4 years ago yesterday found me, at one
point, in the classic hiker pose on Fuller's Rocks (I think
that was the name of that rocky overlook that looked over
the James River), wind in my face as I leaned on my hiking
poles. The song "Still Haven't Found (What I'm Looking For)"
appropriately, in some respects, playing in my earphones.
Later that night, in John's Hollow Shelter, I had to make
Sundown NOT eat some smoky-links he found in the fire pit.
He was really lookin' those things over, he was. The next
day...4 years ago today...had Sundown and I hiking in fog
and rain most of the afternoon. We had hitched in to Glasgow
for some snacks and the boy bought beer. I ridiculed him for
such. He called his mom and set up a maildrop. As he hung
up, he said "That was weird. It sounded like we were
disconnected." (That becomes important 4 years ago from
later this month.) The last couple of miles were after dark
and in snow. About 6 inches or so, some old some new. When
we got to the shelter (Thunder Hill) there was a German
couple there. As we got to talkin', they remember seeing me
in Vermont. Their first night on the trail was at Story
Spring Shelter and I stayed there that night (with Pokey,
Stoat and Cake). They skipped around a bit (like, all of PA
and NY) and here they were...in Thunder Hill Shelter. So, it
was interesting seeing them again. We became very close in
the month to come. ANYWAY...the shelter was dry...or, at
least the spring was. So, my boy Sundown proceeded to
prepare his nightly ration of two Lipton meals with
Budweiser instead of water. What a stench he had goin'. The
Germans didn't seem to mind at all. It actually tasted
pretty good. I think I even drank a beer that night. I DRANK
A BUDWEISER!!!  Well, I digress...as it's what I do
best...when I'm wearing a dress...or, even less...baring my
chest...

--
Felix J. McGillicuddy
ME-->GA '98