[at-l] Alcohol Stoves

For the instructions on making a cat stove you can go to Trail Dad's
site:  http://www.royrobinson.homestead.com/

For the instructions on making a soda can
stove:  http://www.pcthiker.com/pages/gear/pepsistove.shtml

For instructions on making a Photon
stove:  http://mywebpages.comcast.net/djohnston/index.html

For instructions on making an Ion
stove:  http://hikinghq.net/sgt_stove/ion_stove.html

There are two thoughts on alcohol stove operations - time to boil water and
efficency of burn.  The type of stove you choose will likely lead you to
one of the two philosophies.  It seems that the Ion stove is the most
efficient and fuel conserving.  The Cat stove is the leader in time to boil
but may use more fuel.  The amount of fuel discussed here is rather small,
by the way.

Sgt. Rock's web page has a lot of details on stoves and he has posted a
great deal of technical data on alcohol stove performance on the
BackpackingLight group on Yahoo.  You may want to join and look over the
archives.  There are some very technical discussions on stove construction
- but it has been very helpful to follow.

A note about HEET.  It comes in two forms.  If you use it make sure you
check the label and get the one with methyl alcohol.  I believe it is in
the yellow container.  The other container color has isopropyl alcohol
which isn't good for stove use.

Bushwacker