[at-l] National Parks and Snowmobiles

--
Hello,

I wasn't going to enter into this discussion because, being from VT,  I
don't get too excited about snowmobiles traveling in snow country as it's
the norm up here but...

1)  I do believe that many snowmobiles [like outboard motors] have 4 cycle
engines today, correct me if I'm wrong.

2)  National Parks are what they are, National Parks.  They don't belong to
just us hikers.  If you exclude snow machines [and a long list of other
vehicles] then we should be excluded also.  That is, unless we hike naked
with no shoes.

3) I think realistically to be fair limits, if needed, should be imposed on
number of hikers,  vehicles, airplanes, rafts, etc. etc.   Again, I say, if
needed.  How that is to be determined is the problem.

I get turned off with some of the snobbishness of some hikers.  It's as if
they think that creation was created just for them.  Some folks aren't
blessed with strong legs and joints, or are too old to actively participate
in long distance hiking.  Yet, their tax money has paid and is paying for
the National Park system.   Who the heck are we to say that they're not
allowed to see some of the beauty of nature, just because they are limited
in their physical facilities.

I believe that the pollution impact of snow machines that was stated is far
overstated.  Give hard evidence, please, not just referrals.  Give the name
of the research paper, the author, page number and organization which
produced the data.

"...the music of the songs I love is found in the open air."
         From a Danish children's song.

Martin R. Fors [marty aka rusty]

http://www.hikevermont.com/lt2002/rusty/

http://www.trailjournals.com/rusty