[at-l] Bush Opens Yellowstone to More Snowmobiles

> Why don't we deal with the facts, after actually looking at the plan I see
> that:
>
> 1) All two cycle engines are banned after two years.

	Two years ago, all snowmobiles were to be banned by now. Are you
willing to guarantee that this 'ban' will not be revoked as well when
the time comes?

> 2) All rental two cycle engines are banned forthwith.
> 3) The number of snowmobiles allowed in the West Yellowstone entrance is cut
> from 1100-1500 on peak weekends to never more than 550 a day.

	But that number is higher than the current non-peak average. So the
total number of snowmobiles allowed in is higher than current use
levels. Riders simply need to spread out their visits.

> 4) 80% of snowmobiles must use a guide service.

	How many currently use a guide service? How much control does the
service have over the actions of the riders? What qualifies as a 'guide
service'? Do they need to be licensed by the NPS? If so, what are the
requirements and limitations?

	In other words, how real of a restriction is this?

> So it makes no sense to compare 2 cycle engine pollution since they are
> being banned from the park.

	So we are told. I'll wait and see.

	Further, air pollution is only one of a number of problems with
snowmobile use in the parks. The other concerns remain unaddressed.

> The total usauge is also being reduced.

	No, it's not. It only being spread out more.

> And four
> stroke engines are much closer to automobile pollution standards and EPA is
> developing snowmobile engine standards that will further reduce that by use
> of catalytic converters and other means.

	How much closer? And the EPA is being gutted according to internal
reports. Will the standards ever be completed? If completed, will they
ever be enforced?

> So its all a political tempest just
> designed to attack an administration which is unpopular with radicals.
>
> Bryan

	Now who is attacking whom?

	Ron
--