[at-l] why do we "conquer" the outdoors?

One question that was asked of me this weekend is why most
people try to conquer the outdoors instead of enjoying it the
outdoors?  Why must we climb a mountain, hike a trail, canoe
down a river?  I think that I know why, but I would like to hear
other peoples thoughts and ideas.

Grey Owl

###
1) We don't always *have* to "conquer" -- as Denise and Amy have
written, sometimes we're going "home" -- and are at peace. Yet
also, and but really, it's

2) Historical artifact. We are a nation of mutts. All who are
here *left* somewhere's else, and (most) left that place in
dissatisfaction. We came here as explorers, misfits, rebels,
pilgrims, *conquerers*. It is genetic, and yet now carries a
cultural patina.

With regard to that cultural patina, the genetic dissatisfaction
with the status quo can be turned productively (exploration of
things in furtherance of mankind's development: geography,
resources, technology, human performance) or it can be turned to
the *un*productive (mindless hedonism, disco, Spice Girls, Jerry
Springer).

Pushing the boundaries is going to happen, given the genetic
predisposition, but if we are to benefit, we must have/maintain
constructive outlets: we must have a vibrant education system
(including teaching for the young and research for the learned);
we must have a competent park/wilderness system (from urban
rail2trails to "wilderness" within a half-day's drive). We must
learn that if we turn the letters in "Injury Lawyer" around far
enough, they will anagram to "Mephistopheles". These cultural
traits provide grounding for the values that foster and
*sanctify* risk-taking and exploration as *productive*
dissatisfaction.

Celebrate the pioneer spirit. It is the identity from where our
history stems, and to where our future lies.
Sloetoe

Oh, (somewhat parallel) mandatory literary reference:
"Wild at Heart: Discovering the Secret of a Man's Soul"
http://www.beliefnet.com/frameset.asp?pageLoc=/story/115/story_11575_1.html&BoardID=47418

=====
Spatior! Nitor! Nitor! Tempero!
   Pro Pondera Et Meliora.