[at-l] Summer shirt

Back when I was growing up in the deep South I would hear at times that
"some" people "smelled" -- you can pretty well guess who they were talking
about.  I did not really believe it because I knew how mean spirited most of
those speakers were.  But once I smelled a sour smell coming into the bank
where I was waiting on someone.  It was "one" of those people.  But then I
smelled the same smell and it was one of "us".

After a smell survey I figured out the following: Most of those people were
farmers or mill workers and they had come in to cash their paychecks and/or
to get money to go shopping on Friday.  Showers inside the house were not
all that common.  Some, like my Mema, did not have a bathtub in the house.
They would have to heat water on the stove and pour into a washtub.  So they
had to rush to the bank -- which closed early on Friday as compared to now
-- and do so without a good hot bath.  And that "smell" was good honest,
hard earned sweat.

What does that have to do with backpacking?  Well we work up a sweat and we
get use to our own smell -- like a friend who worked in a funeral home, but
he covered it with lots of "smelly good". Also, our backpacking diets are
"strange" and that affects our body smell.  Still we get use to it -- or
most of us do.  We may even get use to the smell of other hikers -- except
maybe those who decide not to bathe between Springer and Katahdin.  But
others -- townspeople, etc. -- might not like the strange smell of hikers
and that may help turn them against us and other hikers.

Granted it is not logical, but that is the way people act.

So the best course of action is to try to keep as "fresh" as possible.
Although I would not dab on vinegar.  Use it in wash water for clothes, yes.
For self, I don't know.  It is kind of sour smelling to begin with and
adding it to the sour smell of sweat...  Also a good ready story of the
trials and tribulations of the sacrifices of a hiker is good if you see a
strange person sniffing you. ;-)

William, The Sniffing Turtle