[at-l] Darning Socks?

You are probably too thrifty.

If these socks are worn enough to have lost their heels, I'd expect
that there is substantial wear and loss of the cushion fibers
elsewhere. The socks gave up their heels to save your heels from
blisters. If you fix this problem, you are likely to have blisters or
other holes develop elsewhere.

Plus, some poor shepherd needs your business. These are now great socks
to wear around the house as bedroom shoes on cold winter floors. If you
can find some leather, patch them and create $20+ Smartwool
slipper/socks.

If you know how to knit, you can probably get the knack of darning.
There are a few tailors who do this fading skill, and you might get
some of them to teach you.

Bill...