[at-l] Cost Comparison - Digital VS Slides

One other thought to consider on all this mess - what to do when you
change computers at some point in the future?  If you have scanned in a
ton of pics, or uploaded a bunch from a digital camera memory card, then
you better have a good file transfer mechanism capability [i.e., either
a network set-up, CD R-W, zip drive, etc.]  Otherwise, you may find
yourself in the same boat many folks have found themselves in - namely,
having an older computer chocked full of pic files with no zip drive or
CD-R/W capability, and no network card, then going out and buying a new
computer, then getting home, and freaking out over how to transfer all
those huge pic files from the old machine to the new one . . .

This problem is starting to get less acute given the growing prevalence
of zip drives, CD-R/Ws, and better file transfer capabilities of newer
version operating systems, but it remains a real problem for a lot of
older computer users . . .

In closing, I would somewhat smugly observe that my "low-tech" digital
idea of simply having your film processor also create a digital CD for
you with all your pics on it eliminates this problem entirely - you just
pop the CD into the new computer and dump all the pics onto the new hard
drive! :)

thru-thinker

Charles Davidson wrote:

> Hey,
>
> =09I have really enjoyed all the information and comentary on this mega t=
hread. Something else to consider in addition to cost and quality is conven=
ience. For a thru hiker 35mm might be more convient. Just drop the roll in =
the mail no need for memory exchange or computors in bump boxes.
> =09However for short hikes of a week or two and home use I really like my=
 digital. Actually I would probably use a digital on a thru hike also. I am=
 not a very good photographer but I have found that quantity helps. When I =
used a 35mm I would take maybe one roll on a weekend. Now I can take 400 at=
 no additional cost. I can step out in the back yard and take 50 shots then=
 come inside and look at them. That convience is worth a lot to me.
> =09My camera is only a 1.3 megapixel. I really would like to upgrade it. =
Still I am well satisfied with my 8 x 10 prints. I post them on my cork boa=
rd at work and frame them at home. For someone like me who is a snapshot sh=
ooter, a digital brings a lot of pleasure.
> =09Data projectors are half the cost they were two years ago. Still $1500=
. Is pricy. Another option, since we all have pc's already (unless you are =
useing some email station device) you can add a video card to your pc that =
lets you view pictures on your TV for $99. My second video card uses an S-v=
ideo output. So you need a TV or reciever with an S-video input. Many lapto=
ps have this S-video output built in and offer a great way to show pictures=
 to a small group.