[at-l] first questions

You have gotten some good advice, particularly regarding the "heavy" idea.
Layers of fleece, balakava, hat, gloves and light wind/water proof shells
will do the job. Gortex tends to be heavy gear without substantial benefit
compared to lighter weight stuff like Frogg Toggs and others. You might
want a thicker sleeping pad in the winter for a few ounces more.

Texas gets a few blizzards, so I'd expect gear suitable there will work
pretty well over here.

OrangeBug