From: Kurt Bodling [mailto:KAB@concordia-ny.edu]
Sent: Tuesday, November 12, 2002 3:52 PM
To: at-l@mailman.backcountry.net
Subject: [at-l] Re: first questions/vegetarian trail diets

Pat,

Does a month or so on the Long Trail qualify as "big chunks"?
Either way, I'm a vegetarian and maintained the diet on the trail this
summer.  Most of my food was prepared at home and sent to my
two mail drops.  Suppers were either things I dehydrated and
mixed in Zip-loc bags according to the directions in the "Lip
Smackin' Back Packin' " cookbook, or commercially dried soups
that I amended with instant rice, or cous cous, and some TVP.

Almost from the get go I was thinking about how I missed fresh
fruit, partly because I eat a good amount of it here in my other life.

And I did lose something like 15-20 unnecessary pounds.  Okay,
that would have been a problem if I had been thru-hiking the AT and
the weight loss had continued.  But, on the other hand, if I'd been
thru-hiking the AT instead of the LT, I'd have made more town stops
and eaten more ice-cream and possibly done some other food
things differently.

Short story: no change in my veggie diet while I was hiking, didn't
feel the need.

concordia, LT '02