[at-l] Case closed

I was planning on staying away from the continuing discussion of voting and
citizen participation, but after reading today's paper, I couldn't resist
adding the following:

A few days ago, in mentioning how important it is to vote, and in mentioning
that every individual's voice is important, I provided one example, which
was mentioning my concern with having Dick Cheyney casting the deciding vote
when the US Senate finds itself deadlocked. I further mentioned that it
bothered me that Cheyney's only significant piece of work as a Congressman
was acting as a shill for the snowmobiling industry in their attempts to get
snowmobiles into America's National Parks despite clear evidence that they
were environmentally harmful; I asked, "Is THIS the sort of man you want
making crucial decisions on America's wilderness areas?"  By not
participating in the election process, well THIS is the type of leadership
we get.

Well, lo and behold, I open today's paper and what do I see?  It seems the
Federal government is all set to overturn a Clinton decision to ban
snowmobiles in Yellowstone and Grand Teton Parks despite the fact that the
EPA clearly stated in 1999 that the machines were causing damage. (see
http://www.nytimes.com/2002/11/12/national/12PARK.html)

In short, I simply can't understand the logic or thought processes of people
who feel that their vote doesn't matter, that the 2 main parties are
identical, that there's no point in voting, or, most extraordinary of all,
that they're doing something noble or dignified by not voting.  If one
doubts that choosing one's leaders (or not choosing them) can possibly make
a difference, all you have to do is pick up a daily newspaper, and you'll
see all the examples you need. This is merely one of them.

Voting matters.  Citizen participation in picking our leaders and
legislators matters.  Individuals can make a difference.  These facts are so
patently obvious that it shouldn't be something that needs debating, at
least not be intelligent people.  Case closed.