[at-l] Pack and sewing question

Hi all,
I currently have a Mountainsmith Auspex/Chimera pack ... link
below.

<http://www.mountainsmith.com/product/details.jsp?prodId=2&catId=50>

My question:  would it be at all possible or even advisable to
"customize" it by adding a zipper @ 10" from the bottom in a "C"
about 3/4 of the way around the circumference and add a
ceiling/floor to make it sleeping bag accessible?  I don't know
enough about pack integrity and sewing to know whether it's
possible to do this.  Any thoughts or advice, and also any
suggestions of how/where to have it done would be very welcome!

I'm also looking at the ULA packs, as a possible purchase down
the  trail a bit.  :) Very impressed by these at the Gathering.
Anyone have any thoughts to share about them; and the P-1
compared to the P-2?
thanks so much! :)

Denise