[at-l] Cost Comparison - Digital VS Slides

A few comments:

1) Most hikers aren't professionals photographers.  They just want something
to remember their hike.  Most are computer literate and digital is the
lingua franca of communications today.  Just one guy (I think his name was
Gourmet Dan) I met on the trail was doing a travelogue or something and he
carried a 75 lb pack with all his equipment.  NOT THE AVERAGE THRU HIKER!
In fact several thru hikers have thanked me when I send them my trip reports
(via email of course) because I had more and better pictures then they had.
Some had lost or given up on their instamatics.  (No I'm no photo-wiz.  Just
a guy with a Digital Nikon who takes about one picture per mile on average -
they might take one picture per day if they were lucky.)
2) As my previous post stated most hikers don't give slide shows.  Sure
Brian did.  But not me and not any hiker I know.  If a group comes over to
my place see my stuff I just run a computer slide show on my PC.  Works fine
for a family situation.
3) Battery charger: mine weighs about 4 oz..  I packed it with me and used
it at town stops.  If 4 oz . is too much, put it in your bounce box.  No
hassle whatsoever.
4) Disposable batteries (to say nothing of film chemicals used for
developing) wreak havoc with the environment.

All this discussion of picture quality, publishing in magazines, giving
slide shows, etc. etc. is fine, but quite irrelevant to the average hiker.
(Emphasis on AVERAGE).  Take a vote. (Oops, wrong topic(; )

Pb