Re[6]: [at-l] You've gotta love it...

Yes, I agree that the TA list shouldn't be taking pot shots from afar:

"And  as  the  trail  becomes  increasingly unattractive  as
development  crushes  in  there will be fewer and fewer people
willing  to  defend  it. These two lists I think illustrate the point.
Scores of folks talk packs, cameras, food, tents and such other
immediate concerns. Only a handful  want  to  talk trail advocacy, and
even that participation is marred by what  our  resident  psychologist
analyses as "hare-brained, off topic political rants."

As you might recall, I was only suggested that an off-topic political
rant might be more welcome on a different list, and mentioned TA as one
possibility that could use additional knowledge and a broader topic
base. I also agreed that TA could be described far simply and
charitably.

I'd like to see my observations of TA proven premature and incorrect.
There are very real opportunities for trail advocacy that do not
involve bickering over fragments of messages and rare quotes of early
trail promoters. I hope the recently announced MacKaye biography will
satisfy some of these trivia buffs enough to deal with the AT in the
21st century.

Unfortunately, I anticipate that "Trivia Advocacy" will be the ultimate
legacy of the current threads.

Bill...