[at-l] Cost Comparison - Digital VS Slides

Saunterer  has provided us with an excellent cost comparison between digital and
film.  I would only quibble over the camera costs. I haven't analyzed it, but my
reading of photography magazines, product reviews and Photo Shopper ads makes me
believe  that  a  digital point and shoot is about a third more expensive than a
comparable  film camera. The prices of both are dropping fast as the competition
heats  up.

Also  a  factor  may  be  obsolescence.  Digital  is improving so rapidly that I
suspect  most bought this year will be replaced within a couple of years. Hikers
tend  to  collect  gadgets. I wonder how many will resist the remarkable wonders
still to come.

I  don't  see  any significant differences between the point and shoot I used in
1993  and  those currently on the market. The minor film point and shoot changes
over  the  past 10 years have not always been for the better in my opinion. Some
of the new cameras are claiming a 38-155 zoom lens. I wonder how many hikers are
truly  able  to  hold  a  155 long distance lens steady enough for good quality.

 Weary