[at-l] Physical training for the trail

I have to give a strong "Amen" to the others who have said that completion =
of the trail is not a matter of pre-hike conditioning.  I am speaking as a =
person who started the trail at the age of 50, and being at least 20 lbs. o=
verweight, and not having prepared at all with any special physical trainin=
g.

What has gotten me out of Georgia and on to Hot Springs, N.C. the first yea=
r, and to Great Barrington, MA in the 4 more years since, has been much mor=
e a mental attitude than any physical conditioning I had before I started h=
iking each summer.  In fact, I don't know of anything that can really prepa=
re you for hiking other than hiking itself.  Granted, you will be better of=
f physically if you are in good shape, and it will probably result in a neg=
ligible improvement in your initial training curve while on the trail.  Tha=
t's nothing, however, that can't also be accomplished with a steady dose of=
 Ibuprofen for the first week you are hiking.

Without making this a long email, I would refer you to my website on what s=
uggestions I have for the type of personality you will need to complete any=
 long distance hike, say of 200 miles or more, and certainly if you are thi=
nking of thru-hiking.  See http://www.oc.edu/staff/phil.heffington/TrailPer=
sonality.htm

My own feeling is that people who start the trail and go home before Nantah=
ala Outdoor Center (about 135 miles up the trail) is that they did not have=
 the personality characteristics needed to complete either a long distance =
hike or a thru-hike (given the obvious exceptions of physical injury, unfor=
eseen personal tragedys., etc.).  By far, most of them would not even make =
it that far. The challenge is one of completing a somewhat demanding physic=
al task, combined with that of perservering in the face of mental challenge=
s which will be unknown to you until you experience them on the trail.