[at-l] Physical conditioning for a thru

--

> Don't worry too much about the physical training.

Truly?  Is this spoken like a 25 year old by any chance?  : )
I'm hoping to spend most of next year training for an '04 attempt...

> I planned on averaging 8-10 miles a day all the way to Fontana Dam.

My last three backpacking trips:
1. 2nd day, blew out right hip
2. 2nd day, blew out left knee
3. 3rd day, tore plantar fascia (left heel)

This is with pack weights under 30 lbs, averaging less than 7 miles a day -
a veery slow pace, well fitting gear and so on.  And physically speaking,
I'm in excellent shape; weight lifting, lots of cycling and so forth.  And
for these trips I built up by day hiking from 3-7 miles a day, several times
a week for several months beforehand.

I'm glad I didn't set out this year only to have to spend several weeks in
town with a PT, or cancel altogether.  I don't know why this is happening (I
have no leg length discrepency or anything weird - except for scoliosis),
but the good news is I don't reinjure previous injuries, although I'm sure
they'll crop up when miles set in.

I do a lot of stretching exercises, etc.  My current plan is to try to build
up to at least 2 or 3 one week long trips next year.  If I can't do those,
I'll have to find a rational explanation why I've wanted to hike the AT
since I was about 12 (25 years now?  : )

I'm also considering treadmill work over the winer, with a pack, building
up, 2 lbs, 4 lbs etc.

Mark