[at-l] Raccoon, AT 2003?

On Wednesday, November 6, 2002, at 10:26  AM, Susan Davis wrote:
> I've barely even scratched the surface of the
> training hikes that I wanted to do to get ready for such an
> endeavor, and there are some major financial and other question
> marks that could just as easily turn this into a pleasant
> daydream that never materializes.
>
> Eep.  Someone talk me out of this....

Hmm.  I think you are hanging out with the wrong crowd if you want
to be talked out of a thru-hike.

Don't worry too much about the physical training.  Do your research,
test out gear, get your pack weight down and then just plan to start
out slowly on the trail.

I was completely out of shape, (225 lbs height 6') and hadn't been
backpacking for over 15 years when I started last fall.  I was
realistic.  I knew that I wasn't going to be able to hike 15 miles
per day from the beginning.  I planned on averaging 8-10 miles a day
all the way to Fontana Dam.  I started increasing my milage from there.
It is amazing what your body will adjust to *if you give it time*.