[at-l] How much is too much?

As someone who is 20# overweight (about 8%), would I reap as much benefit b=
losing say 10# of fat as I would by lowering my pack weight by 10#?

I am thinking that in certain respects, I would.  Like with regard to the
strain on my knees.

On the otherhand, I am thinking that on a short hike I would benefit (in
terms of enjoyment) more from a 10# reduction in my pack weight than I woul=
benefit from a 10# reduction in my beer belly.  Am I kidding myself?

The only way I have been able to reconcile the idea that losing pounds from
my pack will lead to a more enjoyable hike than loosing an equivalant nembe=
of pounds from my body is that distribution of weight is really important
when it comes to my ability to enjoy a hike.

If I am right about that, wouldn't a pack that weighs two or three pounds
more be worth considering if it does a really good job of distributing the
weight over your body?

Rick B

Broadband?=A0Dial-up? Get reliable MSN Internet Access.