Re[2]: [at-l] I'm cold!

> "... What are reasonable recommended methods of acclimation to
> cold? Not the walk in the snow with bare feet or swim in icy waters
> stuff, real methods."

The subject of acclimation can get complicated by discussions of
physiological responses such as vascular constriction, but for the most part
that is best left to biologists.

Weary's methods are all proven and workable - and best of all simple.

Two things that most people miss are proper breathing and proper thinking.
I'm not sure I can explain the breathing without going into a detailed
explanation of the oriental concept of Chi...  Essentially, you should
breathe not just with the lungs, but with the whole body.  Don't let it shut
down in the cold.  Buddhist monks have an exercise where they dry wet cotton
sheets on their backs in the frigid mountains of the Himalayas.  Talk about
acclimated...

Proper thinking is easier.  Don't keep thinking how cold you are.  To say,
'Think warm thoughts.', is probably a little simplistic...  Better to say,
"Think like you are warm."

Of course, at some point, none of this does you much good.  Everybody
freezes at twenty below with a fierce wind, but acclimation can - and does -
make a difference.  It doesn't take all that long either.

Shane