[at-l] Short Report on Short Trip

Yesterday I composed and sent a trip report. Yahoo decided the five minutes I had taken to write
it was longer really than eight hours -- after I'd hit the "send" button -- and sent me to a page
where it boasts of a security system that logs you out after eight hours! It deemed the report
garbage, apparently, and never sent it. So here is a shorter version.

Took a day hike Saturday with Atlanta Single Hikers. <http://www.mindspring.com/~atlsinglehikers/>
Up on Cooper's Creek, about 10 miles north of Suches and 11 miles north of the AT. Approximately 8
miles of partial loop and doubleback ... enjoyable in the cool weather, blue sky, and yellow/red
leaves of fall. At 4pm I took off for Gooch Gap. Nearly changed my plans when I found the parking
area full, but pressed on against the odds. (Lots of confident, Floridian tagged autos;)

At the turn off to the old shelter, met one of those rehabing teenager groups headed to Gooch Gap
to camp. After half a mile of solitary hiking a GIANT woodpecker, making all kinds of racket, spun
over head and went to work on a dead tree. I stayed a while and watched it. Half a mile further a
teenage boy named Adam overtook me. He was with his family, a brother and his two parents. At the
shelter was a group of scouts from Rome, Georgia.

The shelter is trully state of the art, and the above ground composting latrine a wonder, really.
NO ODORS !!  Pittsia and Yak indicated their presence at the shelter on the 30th in the Register.
I heard mice but saw and felt none while sleeping and found my snickers breakfast bar unmolested
in the morning. The tin roof and acorns met a few times resulting in a kettle drum beat each time.

The scout troop leaders had accomplished something quite remarkable: this scout troup practiced
LNT with gusto. They used tents, leaving the shelter free.

As I left the Gooch Mountain Shelter area, the Rangers' machine guns echoed once or twice in the distance.

=====
David Addleton
vocate atque non vocate deus aderit
http://dfaddleton.home.att.net/