[at-l] Glucosamine and Chondroiton - in the archives

Run a Google search for Glucosamine, or see if the AMA's website has
access to the JAMA articles on Glucosamine. The important take home
message has been:

1) Glucosamine 500 mg tabs, 3 per day often helps improve function but
has only modest benefit for pain in arthritis.

2) The addition of Chondrotin only appears to add to the cost without
benefit.

3) The cheap stuff is as good as any brand name.

4) There is much anedotal and limited clinical evidence that
Glucosamine aids regeneration of cartilege.

5) Unless you find some expensive marketer, at least it won't harm
things.

You can find the stuff just about anywhere - WalMart, Big Lots, Kroger,
GNC, yuppy cafes, etc. I find it cheapest at Costco or Sam's and buy it
by the largest bottle available. This is also a very good place to get
your Baby Boomer Aspirin tabs and Fish Oil gelcaps.

Bill...
<I feed it to my new rescued boxer for his arthritis. I take the other
stuff.>