[at-l] Derailed at Blue Mountain - Part Three

--
Derailed at Blue Mountain - by Robert Tomlinson
(part three - parts one and two are reprinted below)

As I lay there on my ER bed, I was fairly comfortable, but it was mid
afternoon and I did not know when or where my wrist would get treatment.
Although I was reasonably confident the doctor was working on finding a
place, I was still concerned as to how I would get there. As I pondered
that, I began to vaguely remember something about my medical insurance
coverage including transportation to get emergency treatment. There was a
phone in my ER cubicle, so I went over to it and called the customer service
number on my insurance card. Although it took some time to explain my
unusual situation to the nice lady on the other end of the phone - she never
heard of an ER that couldn't handle broken bones either - good news! She
finally agreed that such transportation would be covered.

Shortly thereafter, the ER doctor strolled into my cubicle with more good
news - he had confirmed that the visiting orthopedic doctor from Gainesville
(Georgia) was in nearby Blairsville that very day!  The bad news was that
they weren't sure if they had the proper facilities in Blairsville for him
to work on my particular problem, but for now Blairsville seemed to be my
best bet. And so the good ER doctor had already set the wheels in motion to
have me transferred. A nurse came by to ask when the ambulance would be
needed to transport me, and the ER doctor, who had been so helpful up to
then, responded with  "He won't be needing the ambulance."

What ?!!!! Seems I had mentioned Gene, the hiker shuttle guy, in passing and
the doctor assumed that was how I was going to get transportation. I had no
idea if Gene was even in town that day, and nothing against Gene, but I wasn
't sure that it was a good idea in my situation to let myself get out of the
medical network, even for a short ride to another facility, especially if
the as yet unknown but sure to be exorbitant, costs of that ride were
covered by my (also exorbitant) insurance. I quickly asserted myself and
announced " My insurance company said that they will cover the ambulance."
The EMT guys were there in minutes.

The two young EMT guys were obviously a bit baffled by a patient who could
walk without their assistance, and based on what they could observe of my
condition, didn't really understand why I needed their services in the first
place. But one of them grabbed my pack, the other one grabbed my X-rays and
other paperwork, and they walked with me to their waiting ambulance. Once I
got in the back of the ambulance, the EMT guy assigned to ride back there
with me insisted that I lay down on the backward-facing gurney. He then
strapped me in, apologizing but saying it was "required procedure".

The 30-minute ambulance ride to Blairsville was actually a pleasant
interlude in what had been a mostly unpleasant day so far. I enjoyed
watching the small-town streets and the mountain scenery out of the back
window, while chatting with the pleasant and respectful EMT attendant,
although I felt like an old man once I realized that this earnest young man
was just a little older than my own sons. He had been on the Appalachian
Trail and other trails in the area, so we had some nice hiking related
conversation. I was also interested to find out that he spent time as a
volunteer fireman before becoming an EMT, since my own nephew wants to be an
EMT and has also spent a good amount of time as a volunteer fireman.

When we arrived at the emergency room of Union General Hospital in
Blairsville, it was almost 4PM. But they were expecting me, and so I was
immediately shown to a treatment room. The EMT guys dropped my pack there,
gave my X-rays and other records to the ER nurse, wished me good luck, and
were on their way. While he took my blood pressure and other vital signs,
Donny, the ER nurse, filled me in on the "visiting doctor." Donny used to
work for Dr. Weiss at his practice in Gainesville and had nothing but good
to say about him. According to Donny, it was my lucky day - an orthopedic
doctor and an orthopedic-trained nurse in the same hospital on the same day.

Actually, Dr. Weiss was not at the hospital, but he was in town. Donny had
already spoken to him, and the doctor would come over as soon as he could.
They had decided that they had adequate equipment at the hospital to treat
me, although Donny confided that it was very rare for an orthopedic doctor
to work at that hospital. Hmmm, I was feeling pretty good until he said
that.

 But in the meantime, Donny had to get me ready. The main thing was to put
an IV line in me, which the doctor would use to fill my arm with anesthetic
when he arrived. I hate needles, and recently passed out onto the floor when
blood was taken from my arm as part of a routine physical, but that hardly
seemed to be worth mentioning in light of my current medical problem. But I
made sure that I was laying safely on the ER bed before offering up my arm.
After Donny unwrapped the splint they had put on at the previous hospital,
he announced that due to the swelling he would probably have trouble finding
a blood vessel and might have to stick me a few times in search of one. Oh
goody. But Donny was golden that day and when he stuck me on the back of my
right hand, to my relief (and his), he had found one on his first try.

Donny then left me to take care of his other duties (this ER seemed somewhat
busier than the other one), saying that the doctor should be there soon. But
as I continued to wait, the intense throbbing pain, like that I had
experienced in the other hospital until they wrapped my wrist, returned. I
tried to ignore it and focus on other things, but soon started frantically
pacing the room as I had done in the other hospital, which seemed to be the
only way to cope with the pain. After what seemed like forever, but was
probably twenty or thirty minutes, I left the ER treatment room to find
Donny. When I tracked him down, he was sympathetic, but could really do
nothing - he had recently called the doctor, who was supposed to be on his
way. Donny did not want to give me any painkiller so close to being given
the anesthesia. So I went back to the ER treatment room to pace some more.

Finally at around 5:30PM, Dr. Weiss blew in. He was a very energetic,
gregarious, friendly man, about ten years older than me I guessed. He asked
me a few personal questions about where I was from, etc., listened to my
story of what happened, and poked and prodded my wrist area a bit, asking me
how certain pressure points felt. He looked at the X-rays and then explained
to me what he saw and what needed to be done, very similar to what I had
been told at the previous hospital. After asking if I had any questions -
not really, I said - he told Donny they were going to start the
nesthesia  - conscious sedation, they called it.

Donny quickly attached several round cloth patches to my chest and stomach -
each patch had a set of wires running from it to a monitor that Donny was in
charge of watching - this was apparently serious stuff. The doctor then
attached the tube carrying the anesthetic to the IV port Donny had
previously placed in my right hand. Donny recited vital statistics from the
monitor while we all waited for the anesthetic to take effect. Dr. Weiss
then said something about my arm changing colors but not to worry. He then
attached a tourniquet, like a blood pressure cuff, to my right arm, just
under the armpit. I couldn't really feel my arm at that point but when I
looked over at it, it was green, just like Martian make-up in a science
fiction movie. I would have been worried if Dr. Weiss had not warned me
first.

The whole time this was going on, Dr. Weiss was talking to me about Florida,
hiking, his practice, my career, real estate, and a multitude of other
things - in other words, a normal, cordial conversation. Very rare based on
most (but not all) of the doctors I have run up against in south Florida.

Then Dr. Weiss lifted my arm straight up off the table, extending it fully
so the fingers pointed to the ceiling, and started what looked like a
two-handed massage on my wrist and lower arm. He was relocating the out of
place bones. The arm was like a slab of meat as far as I was concerned,
having nothing to do with me - I could feel nothing but a tugging up around
my shoulder. After no more than five minutes of this, Dr. Weiss put my arm
back on the table beside me. He unwrapped two splints, putting one on top of
my arm and one below and then quickly wrapped the splinted arm in gauze
mesh. The top splint extended past the elbow and served to immobilize it in
a 90-degree bend. In what seemed strange at the time, and looked strange to
me the whole time I had that cast (which I later learned is of the type
known as a "sugar tong"), he topped it all off with some white plastic tape,
wrapped sparsely up and down the entire arm, not very symmetrical and not
particularly tight.

Dr. Weiss then had X-rays taken of the wrist - I didn't even have to move
from the ER table! While we were waiting for the developed pictures, the
phone rang. Donny was out of the room for some reason, and so Dr. Weiss
answered it. The call turned out to be for him. As he continued talking, I
became concerned because he had not yet released the tourniquet on my upper
arm. I had earlier overheard him tell Donny something about me not being
able to "stand" more than a certain amount of time with the tourniquet on.
What exactly did that mean? And my arm being a Martian green piece of meat
didn't help any. How long was this phone call going to take anyway?
Everything I thought I might say something (like "HELLLLLLLLLP!"), it seemed
like doctor was about to hang up and so I wouldn't - and then the guy on the
other end would say something to re-start the conversation.

Just as I was about to get really frantic, the doctor finished his phone
call. He looked at me and laughed "Well, I guess we better get this
tourniquet disconnected - ha ha!" Very funny, doctor - you're a riot.

Disconnecting the tourniquet proved to be another two-man operation - the
doctor explained that letting all of the blood flow at once was not a good
idea. So he did it in stages while Donny looked at the vital signs provided
by the electronic sensors that were still glued to my upper body. By this
time the x-rays came back - Dr. Weiss looked at them, showed them to me, and
pronounced himself satisfied. He asked me to wiggle my fingers and to make a
fist - I was able to do both satisfactorily. He wrote me a prescription for
pain medication, gave me a few suggestions for taking care of my wrist and
the cast, told me to see a doctor at home in a week or two for follow-up,
made a few notes in the file, and he was gone. It was past 6PM and I was in
Blairsville, Georgia with  my arm in a sling and only a backpack to my
name - what now?