From: Orange Bug [mailto:orangebug74@yahoo.com]
Sent: Wednesday, October 30, 2002 11:22 AM
To: Jan Leitschuh; AT-List
Subject: Re: [at-l] AT Camera - Staring from Scratch

I recommend spending some time at a good quality camera shop, asking these
same questions. Here are the shortcomings of digital.

1) battery life. If you spend anytime looking at your pictures and flipping
through/deleting, you quickly run your battery down. Get a couple of
batteries, and make recharging part of your town chores.

2) memory. If you want a number of pictures, plan on getting one or two of
the biggest PC Card memory chips you can afford. Learn how to use the camera
to make pictures that fit on the card and give you the best quality for
where you wish to display - print, computer screen, whatever.

3) weight. for the best quality pictures, you want higher pixels and higher
battery needs, memory needs and weight. There are cheap and light digital
cameras out there, ones that were thousands of dollars just a year or two
ago. Your choice is to balance the cost/benefit ratios.

4) downloading the pictures. You could mail the memory chip to support and
replace with a blank one, but that could be a bit expensive. Unless you
carry a CD burner in your bounce box, this may be a bit of a challenge.

5) printing the photos. This is really not as difficult as you might
imagine. The color jet printers and quality photo paper do a very good job
these days.

These are not as easy to use, at least for this guy, as your old point and
shoot 35mm camera. This needs to become a part of your gear very soon and
practice, practice, practice. Each of these weaknesses can also be the
strength of digital. You can much more quickly share photos with more folks
by uploading them. What a treat! Imagine your collection of privies!

Bill...