[at-l] AT Camera - Staring from Scratch

I recommend spending some time at a good quality camera shop, asking
these same questions. Here are the shortcomings of digital.

1) battery life. If you spend anytime looking at your pictures and
flipping through/deleting, you quickly run your battery down. Get a
couple of batteries, and make recharging part of your town chores.

2) memory. If you want a number of pictures, plan on getting one or two
of the biggest PC Card memory chips you can afford. Learn how to use
the camera to make pictures that fit on the card and give you the best
quality for where you wish to display - print, computer screen,
whatever.

3) weight. for the best quality pictures, you want higher pixels and
higher battery needs, memory needs and weight. There are cheap and
light digital cameras out there, ones that were thousands of dollars
just a year or two ago. Your choice is to balance the cost/benefit
ratios.

4) downloading the pictures. You could mail the memory chip to support
and replace with a blank one, but that could be a bit expensive. Unless
you carry a CD burner in your bounce box, this may be a bit of a
challenge.

5) printing the photos. This is really not as difficult as you might
imagine. The color jet printers and quality photo paper do a very good
job these days.

These are not as easy to use, at least for this guy, as your old point
and shoot 35mm camera. This needs to become a part of your gear very
soon and practice, practice, practice. Each of these weaknesses can
also be the strength of digital. You can much more quickly share photos
with more folks by uploading them. What a treat! Imagine your
collection of privies!

Bill...