[at-l] PCT guides - and places to start

Kelly Kinneen wrote:
>My name is Kelly, and I've been monitoring this list through most of the
>fall; a thru-hiker I met on the AT in VT. told me about it, told me that
>you all usually know what you're talking about. :)

Kelly -
Sometimes that's true - and sometimes we just think we do <G>

>I'm starting to plan a long distance hike on the PCT for next summer. I'm
>thinking I have about 2 months. I'm not an inexperienced hiker, but I am a=
>east-coaster by birth, residence, and experience, and need some info about
>how to start researching this hike.

A couple suggestions - first, do you know about the pct-l email list?  It's
the sister list to at-l and you can get at it from
http://www.backcountry.net/

>I'm looking for some general info (good guidebooks, good websites), but I'=
>also just looking for suggestions. Considering I have 2 months, where
>should I invest my time? Is there (I'm sure there are) folks who'd be
>willing to correspond with me if I have questions thru the process?

Second - Go to the PCTA (Pacific Crest Trail Association) website at
http://www.pcta.org/

PCTA has a store where you can get the only publicly available guidebook.
We have 2 others, but they're old enough that you don't want them.  They
also have Data and Trail town books. You can also join the organization fro=
the website.  And -- they have links to various journals.

Third - Get one of Ray Jardine's books on lightweight backpacking.

Fourth - talk to us.  Ginny and I did the PCT in 2000.  We'll happily talk
to you via either email or phone.  Home phone number is 301-262-7336.  Yeah
- we're in Maryland.

Finally - and this is personal opinion - if you have 2 months, do it in
Washington and Oregon.  You actually can't go wrong anyplace along the
trail, but if we had just 2 months, that's where we'd go first.  And --
apparently only the Oregon/Washington guide book is presently available.
Although that "may" change before next summer.

Enuff - you've got enough to keep you busy for a while - and we'll be here
if you want to use either email or phone.  Hmmm - well, we'll be here most
week nights.  We're rarely here on weekends.  This coming weekend we'll be
doing a trail relocation in northern PA.

Walk softly,
Jim

Unlimited Internet access -- and 2 months free!=A0 Try MSN.