From: Teresa French
Date: Saturday, October 26, 2002 11:44:20 PM
To: at-l
Subject: [at-l] How much is too much?

After a traffic jam just getting TO the Interstate, and then a near-crash ON
the Interstate, I made it to Bill Jackson's. The employees were friendly,
and helpful. I tried on several packs with weight in them, and found one
that felt really good and two others that felt good.

How much weight for a pack is too much? The lightest of the 3 was just
under 4#, and the other two were slightly over 5#.

I think someone said to try to keep your weight of pack+shelter+bag at 10#
or under. Does that seem reasonable? I'm no ultralighter. I'm a beginner.
I'm definitely not interested in going for a record heavy pack either.

My "problem" is that I'm on a budget too. The 3 packs I liked were
$240-280. Do you get what you pay for with packs? I'm thinking (or trying
to convince myself?) that skimping on footwear and packs is not the place to
be skimping.

Thoughts on the subject....?

:-)
Teresa