[at-l] dogs...

--
In a message dated 10/25/2002 7:26:45 AM Mountain Daylight Time,
KarenS62@aol.com writes:

> . That's one of the reasons I really appreciate hikers making their dogs sit
> beside them while I pass. It reassures me that they do have control of
> their animal in a very unobstrusive, quiet way and gives me the decision of
> whether to interact with the dog.

This is our routine when I take my Standard Poodle on trails.  She benefits
in that she gets lots of praise and also that it has a very reassuring,
calming effect on her.  Believe it or not, whispering to her quietly, when I
see someone approaching whom I believe will alarm her, has a marvelous
result.  She gets it.

Kinnickinic