[at-l] Dogs

Chase wrote
>"get a dog after your hike and if you have a dog now leave it at home. :-)
That is rather direct but it is my opinion"<

Remember, that IS just ONE opinion, and I offer my opinion as well...
I breed and train service dogs and find that with proper breeding and train=
ing most dogs are more trail savvy than the hiker/owners are.
Problems are usually caused by the inconsiderate OWNER/HIKER, not by dogs. =
i.e. the OWNER let the dog in the shelter, the OWNER tied the dog near the =
bridge etc...

As for the breed, Amy has a good point.
I breed Labradors, and often hike with my 100lb yellow lab. Large breed dog=
s can carry high pack weights easily (their food for a week or more) withou=
t fatiguing, but after hiking for years with large breed dogs I can also se=
e some advantages of hiking with a smaller breed. There is a high probabili=
ty that it will be the dog getting injured on the trail rather than the hik=
er, and a small dog is easier to carry if needed.

Regardless of the breed you select, make sure you obtain a OFA on the dog b=
efore hiking with them. (The OFA test is for any predisposed hip and joint =
problems.) If getting you dog from a breeder, the breeder should provide a =
clear OFA on the parents. If selecting a dog from a pound or shelter most G=
OOD vets can take the x-rays and send them off for OFA certification.

If you want any details of my experiences hiking with dogs let me know off =
list.

jeff / wilderness1