From: at-l-admin@mailman.backcountry.net
[mailto:at-l-admin@mailman.backcountry.net] On Behalf Of Jim Bullard
Sent: Thursday, October 24, 2002 9:09 PM
To: Felix; AT-list
Subject: Re: [at-l] You virus-knowin' folx...

At 07:07 AM 10/24/2002 -0500, Felix wrote:
>A question...
>
>occasionally I'll get e-mails with 'winmail.dat' tagged on
>to the bottom. The other 'text' in the message is normal (in
>appearance, not content). There is just an attachment at the
>bottom called 'winmail.dat'.
>What is dat? I mean that?

Dat is:

.DAT Data (multiple programs) Note: RDXR020305.DAT is Morpheus adware.
Kill
this and others with Ad-aware. WordPerfect Merge Data (also possibly)
MPEG
File VCD and/or SVCD File [Help Site] (play with Media Player)
Mitsubishi
DJ-1000 and Photorun Native Format Gunlok Archive [Dragon UnPACKer]
Nascar
Racing Archive [Dragon UnPACKer] SPOT Graphic [XnView] SHARP MZ-series
Emulator RAM-Disk File Unfinished FastTrack Download (used by FastTrack
Clients, e.g. KaZaA, KaZaA Lite, Grokster) NeroCD Speed Results File
(from
http://filext.com/d.htm)

Sounds to me like you have a spyware program on your computer.  All
those
neat things that offer you free access to music and stuff (Kazaa, Bonzi
Buddy, etc.) are actually spy ware.  They track your Internet activity
then
send reports back to the mothership where it is used to target spam
email
to you and other stuff.  No, I'm not joking.  They really can do that.
really sophisticated spyware program can capture almost anything form
your
PC and report it to its originator and you won't even know it's doing
it.

sAunTerer