[at-l] Dogs

Billie,

=09I used to take my dog on hikes years ago. I never realized how inconside=
rate I was then. My love for my dog clouded my perspective. Often I have ha=
d to hold the barking dog when he would not let a hiker return to the shelt=
er after a late night bathroom call to the woods. I think owners often fail=
 to see that their loving companion can be a frightful experience to others=
. It is not much comfort to hear an owner say "he wont bite" when you are f=
acing a growling dog.
=09A lot of times I do meet dog owners on the trails that are respectful an=
d pull their leashed animals off to the side of the trail for hikers to pas=
s. Once I came up on a very large 150# dog tied to a tree beside a foot bri=
dge. The dog would not let me approach the bridge. My first thought was to =
kill the animal so I could cross. Then I though well it is not the dogs fau=
lt and I can wade the creek. Next I realized I could out smart him and walk=
ed around the tree in a wide circle, winding his
leash on the tree. I was just able  to squeeze by his gnashing teeth and cr=
oss the bridge. He quickly unwound himself and he and I were both lucky the=
 leash never broke LOL. I like em just fine but not on the trails/.

chase

"Billie H. Cleek" wrote:

> I'm not thinking of bringing it with me on a thru-hike, just on
> weekend/less-than-a-week hikes.
>
> Cleek
> On Thu, Oct 24, 2002 at 06:43:57PM -0400, I received a message from Charl=
es Davidson to which I felt pleasantly compelled to respond by saying:
> > Yo,
> >
> >       My advice is to wait and get a dog after your hike and if you hav=
e a dog now leave it at home. :-)
> >       That is rather direct but it is my opinion. About the only animal=
s I have had trouble with on the trail are dogs. By trouble I mean dogs tha=
t I have meet on the trail snarling with teeth showing threatening Ill bit =
you if you proceed with your hike unless you dispatch with me first. Or sti=
nking wet dogs brought into shelters who sling rain water from their coats =
all over you and your gear, at least the stinking hikers don't do that haha=
ha. Expensive ultralight hiking gear doesn't stand up well