[at-l] The Gathering

Another Gathering attended. As when I fnished the AT
four years ago, the Gathering seems to bring a
thru-hike to closure for me and puts me in the frame
of mind to start the next phase of my life.

Just moved into my new place today (but most of my
stuff is still in storage! But I have a sleeping bag
and a duffle bag full of clothes..what more do I need?
:D), and should be starting my job up again in about a
week or so.

The Gathering, as always, was great fun.  A chance to
see old friends, make new ones and to discuss trails
non-stop.  The slide shows were quite good this year.
CDT slides shows are quite dangerous for me now! :D
Always love Spur and Ready's PCT slides how. As fellow
'02 PCTers it was great to see some of the people and
places I was at this year. Many fond memories.

Even had an AT hostel experience as  Miss Janet picked
me up at Tri-Cities airport and I stayed at her place
in Erwin. Met many AT SOBOs on their way to Springer
and a few NOBOs who just finished the AT.

A nice gathering memory for me was meeting Play-doh at
Miss Janet's. He was saying he is done with long
distance hiking after he summits Springer. After the
Gathering? He now is ready to do the CDT in '04! Yeah,
hiker get-to-gethers tend to do that to people.

As Jim mentioned I am now a board member. Good gawd!
What is this world coming to. :-)  In all seriousness,
hope to give back to the community that I have
benefited from so much over the years.

Life just gets better and better, doesn't it?

Mags

=====