[at-l] House a tonic? or Hoose a tonic?

Phil writ:

>>>   Or is it a mix of how some of the Canadians pronouce "house", like
"haoose"= .  I hiked the section along the Housatonic River this summer
and never hea= rd anyone pronounce it.  Being devoid of any Yankee blood
or upbringing I a= m wondering what the proper, or even local,
pronunciation of the word "Hous= atonic" might be.  Give me a little
help.   <<<

Not a blooded Yankee, but I lived in CT for four years and my first walk
along the AT included Sages Ravine.  It is pronounced Hoos-a-TAWN-ic.

Ke Kaahawe

---