[at-l] OT Wing Foot Ryan

--
In a message dated 10/21/02 5:43:17 PM US Eastern Standard Time,
jbryankramer@msn.com writes:

> My thoughts amount to this: we once were free to express anything that was
> related to the trail and hiking, now we are not. That to my opinion sapped
> some of the vitality from the list, but I know others like you disagree.

I left this list, hurtful as it was to me, because of similar threads.  NOT
threads about politics, or conservation issues, but threads about the list.
Threads about our disregard and ignorance and lack of support for the Trail,
or political activism for the trails.  Posts of what we could or could not
post.

We are still free to post about anything related to trails and hiking.  We
are also still free to post fluff and fun and jokes - family illnesses - life
changing issues - Victoria's Secret underwear.  The point that clearly hasn't
taken yet is that it isn't the subject discussed that was a problem, it was
how it was discussed.  I have repeated until I am blue in the face - don't
post about how the list doesn't want to hear something - post something
relevant.  Got an issue with a new bill being sent to the floor that impacts
the Trail or even just wilderness conservation? Post about it, and any
information you have to help us be involved.  Don't like windmills that will
impact the view from the Trail? Post it.  Don't like how the Forest Service
is handling issues? Post it - and how we can help.

The issues were never the problem.  Those issues have been on this list since
it's beginning.  It was the other stuff, the "you are stupid" stuff, that was
a problem.  So please, don't think those issues aren't welcome here, they
always have been.  We are still free to express our opinions OF THE ISSUES.
Just not slams against list members who disagree.  And the fault lies with
everyone, including me, not just the few who seem to enjoy putting the list
down.

Red